[K12OSN] Server Clone

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 2 19:58:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 13:04, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> > 4. swapon /dev/sdX (not sure you need this step)

I think you need a 'mkswap partition_name' first, but
this may have already been done if you don't repartition.

> What would be the syntax you would use to rsync the 2 machines?  There
> are a lot of switches and suggestion in Google.  I assume I would issue
> the rsync command from the Knoppix booted machine?  So far the syntax I
> have seen suggested would be "rsync -a -e ssh user at masterserver:/boot
> /tmp/newroot/boot", is that even close?

I always like to use -avH and --one-file-system options in addition to
-essh.  -a sets most of the other options needed for backup (recurse
and keep all attributes possible) with the exception of hard links
(thus the -H).  The -one-file-system keeps it from wandering into
/proc or a mounted cdrom or nfs mount and you need it to skip /home
if it is on a different partition that you want to do separately.
Also, rsync will create one (and only one) top level directory for
the target but I always forget whether your syntax would make a
/boot/boot and put everything under it or not, so I like to cd
to the top of the source directory and use '.' as the source for
rsync to ensure that it won't make a new directory to match at
the destination.

> Right now I am trying a different approach (and it feels sloppy), I
> loaded a minimal install of WBEL, booted the machine up and logged in as
> root, then issued "rsync -a -e ssh root at masterserver:/ /" and it is
> chuggin away.  But I have a feeling this will just turn up crap :-)

If you had done that before the other steps you would have ended
up with a grub loader installed. Even if you screw up the grub
config later, you'd get an interactive grub prompt where you could
type in the location of the kernel to boot.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com