[K12OSN] D Day

Lee Myrick lee at renarts.org
Wed Jun 2 22:31:13 UTC 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 5:24 AM, Shawn Powers wrote:

> The real eye opener was that when you took away all the silly
> "learning games" the kids were able to use the computers as tools to
> learn regular curriculum (isn't that what computers were always
> supposed to do for us?).

Amen to that. I've argued for a long time for the use of computers as
tools for doing work (like adults do in the real world--writing,
research,  presentations, etc.) instead of playing edutainment games.
There's nothing wrong with playing games on computers. But we don't
need to spend school time (and money) doing that.

When I sold my middle/high school on a K12LTSP setup (which is only in
the beginning stages--just got 20 donated Pentium II's for clients, but
don't have the server yet) I also sold them on using only two basic
programs, OpenOffice and a browser. To be honest, I didn't have to do
much selling--I'm lucky to work with two really bright directors who
share the same vision I do for our school.

L Myrick