[K12OSN] Server Spec Question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jun 9 15:36:24 UTC 2004

We addressed the issue of a "separate app server per application"
before, but I'm curious about how many clients a server can really
handle.  Here's my scenario:

LTSP Servers (One for OpenOffice, One for Mozilla, One for LTSP itself)
-Dual 3.2 Xeons with 2MB cache
-6GB RAM
-2x18 SCSI 320 drives in RAID 0 or 1 (whichever is mirrored, I forget)
-Dual GigE network cards

File Server (already existing, exporting nfs, samba, and netatalk):
-Single 2.0 Xeon
-3GB RAM
-3x36GB SCSI 320 in RAID 5
-Dual GigE (integrated)

Redundant Server for Emergency (also stores rsync backups):
-Single 2.4 Xeon
-4GB RAM
-2x18 SCSI 320 drives in RAID 0 or 1 (mirrored, I still don't remember)
-1x160GB IDE drive for rsync backup storage
-Dual integrated NICs

Windows 2003 Server (rdesktop for 60 clients):
-Dual 3.2 Xeons with 2MB cache
-6GB RAM
-3x18GB SCSI 320 drives in RAID 5 (integrated controller)
-Dual GigE network cards

Any Idea how well this will scale?  My network will be Gig fiber
backbone, with 100mbit switched at every port.  I'm starting next year
with about 75 thin clients booting to the setup, but would like to add
more by adding some to classrooms.  We have a total of around 65
classrooms, and although they won't all have 5 thin clients in them, a
bunch will want these "mini-labs"

Does it make more sense to segment off the network, and have clients
boot to specific servers?  The Key Largo setup that I've heard so much
about uses separate servers for separate apps -- and they scaled huge...

Anyway, I'm looking for some input, including input on the windows
server, since that's my weakest ability as an IT guy.  Oh, and read my
disclaimer, so I don't get in trouble.  ;)

Thanks much,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers