[K12OSN] XDCMP through an 'Internal' Firewall

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jun 13 23:15:43 UTC 2004

Gavin Spurgeon wrote:

>>Hello Gavin,
>>
>>Any particular reason why you need to forward XDMCP through a firewall?
>>Usually, X11 is never run across the Internet for security reasons; it's
>>generally kept to the trusted network.
>>

>Yes I know & understand the security issues, but I didn't say that
>the clients will be going over the internet, I just said trough a
>firewall...
>the firewall is 1 of a few internal network firewalls that allow us to
>control the flow of data that bit better on our network... All of the
>networks are 'Trusted' as they are all part of our very large network...
>The firewall in question is one of the firewalls that controls data across
>from 1 campus to the other..
>I hope that helps...

Oh, OK.  When you said "through a firewall", I just figured you meant
across the Internet.  My mistake.  Sounds like you've got a pretty
complex setup there!  :-)

What I would do is get the IP address of your thin client and look to
see what traffic is attempting to pass through the firewall to/from that
IP address.  Then, when it shows up at the firewall (getting blocked, I
presume), you can just open up that type of traffic, and you should be
good to go.  How far are your clients getting in the boot process?

--TP