[K12OSN] Gnome flavor of kprinter?

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Jun 15 15:35:03 UTC 2004

I love KDE.  I also like sound.  I can't have both in LTSP.  SO, I've
been focusing on Gnome or ICEWM -- but printing has me befuddled a bit.

Is there a Gnome version of "kprinter" or some such app?  Should I just
use kprinter?

Also, should I verse myself on standard linux LPR printer setups for my
users?  This next year, I'll have users in 4 buildings connecting to the
same LTSP server, and will need to give different groups different
default printers.  I understand all the printers will be installed on
the server, but for individual users (or even better, individual thin
clients) is it possible to determine a default printer that is not the
system default?

I know that mozilla (by default) just uses standard lpr printing -- so a
student hitting "print" will send the print job to the default printer
on the system, which might be in another building!  (At which point,
they hit print 73 times, assuming that will help)  I'm sure you see the
chaos that ensues..

Any tips on printing help?

Thanks,
-Shawn