[K12OSN] LTSP on Sparc

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Jun 17 01:08:14 UTC 2004

Hello Norbert,

Personally, I'd advise against making LTSP servers out of those SPARC
workstations unless they're very beefy w/ lots of DRAM.  I have an Ultra
5 here at home, and those boxes topped out at 512MB DRAM and 440MHz
CPUs--not LTSP server material, unfortunately, unless you have one
client.  :-)

An example of good LTSP server hardware from Sun might be a Sun Blade
2000 or 2500 machine w/ two 1-1.28GHz CPUs and 4GB DRAM.  Mind you that
if you do want to do this, you're looking at about $10,500.  For that
much money, though, you could build five dual-Athlon systems, each with
4GB DRAM and *fiber* Gig-E.  Heck, you could build three dual-Opteron
boxes for that much and go 64-bit.  Even if you go with a Sun Fire V210,
a 1U rack-mount server box, with similar specs as the above, you're
looking at about $7000.  Remember also that with Sun boxes, especially
the newer ones, you'd have to deal with making sure that GNU/Linux for
the SPARC64 will actually play nicely with all that proprietary hardware.

On the other hand, LTSP *clients* have been made out of SPARC and
UltraSPARC boxes, and I've heard that they work pretty well (I myself
haven't yet tried it).

--TP