[K12OSN] server hardware advice needed

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Fri Jun 18 13:56:32 UTC 2004

Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> I can agree with that. I have 2 seperate file/print/nfs/web/samba
> servers for different districts running on 3ware 7508 parallel ata raid
> cards.  The only problem I have is that I formatted the partitions as
> ext3 and there's some weird bug with 3ware cards and ext3.  Lot's of
> continuous small read and writes slow down file transfer to about 4MB
> per second. If you use another journaled filesystem, XFS, ReiserFS, JFS,
I recently tried a reinstall of FC1 on an xfs partition.  As a side
note: it appears you have to label the partition when formatting it as
xfs, reiser, etc. I booted with a knoppix cd and reformated my /
partition as xfs but didn't label it.  Then I booted with FC1 disc 1
with linux xfs boot options and tried to install.  It could see the xfs
partition, but the label was greyed out.  The only thing I could do to
change the label was to reformat as ext3 etc.  I'll try it again in the
future.