[K12OSN] RE: Linux Tape Backup Software

Chris Kacoroski ckacoroski at nsd.org
Mon Mar 1 12:01:58 UTC 2004

I just finished an extensive evaluation of backup software for the
Northshore school district.  We ended up with bakbone because:

1. Cost - it was much cheaper than other enterprise class software that
could back up several different platforms.

2. It was able to back up Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux (and maybe Windows,
although they are having problems getting the restore permissions
correct)

3. It used a familiar (to by boss) backup strategy of Fulls on weekends
and incrementals during the week (Amanda and TiBS spread the Fulls
throughout the week)

4. It has a virtual tape library option that allows us to meet some
customer requirements that we keep so much data on disk.

I looked at Syncsort, TiBS, Bakbone, BackupExec, NetBackup, Arkeia,
Amanda, Bru, ArcServe, and Everstore.  I checked out rolling our own
scripts and backing up to a large disk via rsync and then dumping the
disk to tape.  In our particular case, Bakbone made the most sense.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
   connected to the entire universe"		John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski at nsd.org, 425-489-6263