[K12OSN] Groupware, E-Smith, and More...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 1 15:20:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:38, Santiago, Nicholas wrote:

> At my school, we just ditched Microsoft Exchange to switch to an SME Server
> for mail. The only issue is that people are asking for calendars and
> taskpads, and I refuse to let them use Outlook due to security holes.
>
> Are there any good open-source groupware solutions out there for SME/Linux,
> or should I just use a commercial solution like MeetingMaker?

Evolution has reasonable personal calendar/task management that
works with emailed requests and sometimes interoperates with some
versions of outlook. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what it is
that determines whether or not this is going to work, though.  I
think it needs something like:
http://www.dread.net/~striker/tnefclean/ in the mail hander to fix
the bad ones.

I haven't found a real solution for shared calendars yet but I'd
settle for a web based version if I could paste in vcal entries
and it would export them in a form that would drop into evolution's
calendar automatically. This one: http://www.planscalendar.com/
looks good but I haven't had time to try it or figure out how you
coax evolution into digesting the vcal entry it exports in a text
window.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com