[K12OSN] Just got approval

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Tue Mar 2 23:10:01 UTC 2004

Hi ,
I teach C++ programming and I am VERY happy to announce I just got approval
for a K12LTSP pilot project for my lab (30 clients). I am planning on using
Anjuta for the C++ IDE and Nautilus as file browser. I would like to have
gnome 2.4 or better as the desktop. I want to run version 4 of K12LTSP.

My clients are 30

233 PII's
196M ram
440LX Intel MB
Riva 128 video with 4 megs
3com 3c905-TX pci NIC
ensoniq 1370 sound
4 gig hard drives with Windows NT (ntfs)

Proposed server:

dual opteron or xeon
4 gigs ram
2 sata hard drives
(contemplating raid 0/1)

I have 3 questions:

1)
I know Nvidia has dropped binary driver support for the Riva 128. But xfree86
has support for the Riva 128 with the nv3 driver. Fortunately, I only need 2D
acceleration. However, nvidia has a note about the Riva 128

"nv  is an XFree86 driver for NVIDIA video cards. The driver supports 2D
acceleration and provides support for the following framebuffer depths: 8,
15, 16 (except Riva128) and 24. All visual types are supported for depth 8,
TrueColor and DirectColor visuals are supported for the other depths with the
exception of the Riva128 which only supports TrueColor in the higher depths."

So it looks like I can't use 16 bit color depth. Just wondering if anyone has
had problems using 24 bit color with this card? Is 24 bit color a burden on
the network? I don't think 15 bit is going to look very nice. Both the server
and clients will only have 100Mb/s ethernet cards. Anyone think I will
definetly need a gigabit NIC on server?

2)
The NIC's in the clients are 3com 3c905-TX pci cards. I am going to use
rom-o-matic to etherboot the clients from the floppy drive. Wondering if
anyone has had problems with this setup?

3)
What's the ETA on kernel 2.6 to K12LTSP? I ask because I am thinking of using
SATA instead of SCSI. Also, contemplating if I need SATA RAID or if I should
just buy 2 drives and put /home on one and / on the other. If I go RAID I
will buy a 3ware 8000 series Escalade true raid card. Anyone have this setup?

Robert