[K12OSN] NAS backup

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 3 11:14:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:58, Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> > I would look at Rsync to do your backups:
> >
> > http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ABackups%3Arsync
>
> And for a cool "packaged" solution that impliments the above for you,
> check out
>
> http://www.rsnapshot.org/

I haven't compared it to rsnapshot, but I really like:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
It compresses backups and links duplicates to greatly increase
the number of runs you can keep on-line and gives you a
nice web interface to access them. It can use either tar or
rsync and works with unix/linux or windows targets. The server
must be unix/linux with a filesystem that supports hard links.
You'll probably want a fairly fast PC to mount the NAS with
NFSv3 semantics to do the work but it is mostly done at night
so a desktop running Linux works fine.  There is a fairly active
mailing list if you have any problems.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource,com