[K12OSN] Home DNS server

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Mar 7 23:25:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 21:35, Gentgeen wrote:
> ************ hosts **********************
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.0.1     win98
> 192.168.0.2     ariel
> 192.168.0.3     linuxbox
> 192.168.0.4     thinkpad
> 192.168.0.10    kingpin
> 192.168.0.50    router
> 192.168.0.100   ipcop
>
> So what do I need to do to make sure that linuxbox handles the DNS
> first, and if it is a local name, keep it local, otherwise sent it on to
> ipcop?  Do I need to run another serves on linuxbox, or is it just a
> matter of some config files?

You need to run named, configured to be the primary server
(master) for some made-up domain that you use for your network
and add to your dhcp options and also for the reverse domain
0.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA for the number-to-name lookups. You
can probably use webmin to set this up.  Test the setup
with 'dig' which will report the authoritative server
that supplied the answer.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com