Re: [K12OSN] RE: Serial Mouse on Clients

Yay, another Minnesota LTSP user! By my count, that makes at least five of us: Bob K. and me in the TC, Jim K.in Winona, Chris B.in Duluth (haven't heard from him in a while--Chris, you still out there?) and now Tim! And I think there some folks nearby in Wisconsin. I'm keeping track because I'd love to have a 'regional conference' here some time similar to what the folks in Maine did last fall. Eric & Jim McQ.: What's your minimum quota of attendees to justify making a trip to Minneapolis or Duluth?

As to serial mice, I, too, am running k12ltsp ver 3.1.2 at home, and most of my client machines use serial mice. Here's the chunk of settings from lts.conf for one old box:

[00:60:8c:c2:55:2a]
# this is art, NIC is a 3c509
X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL = "Microsoft"
X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/ttyS0"
X_MODE_0 = 800x600 40 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync

You have to set the protocol AND the port. And you may have to fool around with the port, trying ttyS0, ttyS1, etc. I've got one goofball client that if I plug the mouse into COM1 and specify ttyS0 it won't work; but if I specify ttyS1 it will work (and yes, I'm sure I've got it connected to the correct port--I spent a lot of time fooling around with that one). The point is, on older hardware, sometimes you have to do a lot of trial and error because things don't always work as they should.

The Twin Cities Linux User Group (www.tclug.org) meets the first Saturday of the month, usually of the U of M campus. That's probably about the same distance for you as Mankato, I suspect.

Petre

Tim Kaldahl wrote:
Hi all,

I have been lurking in this list for about a year and have just been playing
with k12ltsp more or less as a novelty. I am in the process of setting up a
server (3.12) with 5 terminals at my son's school. (Very poor private
christian school) My problem is that the server has a ps2 mouse, but the
terminals all use serial mice. The terminals connect, but the mouse won't
work. I tried editing lts.conf by changing X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/ttyS0"
instead of "/dev/psaux" but that did not change anything. This project is my
proving ground for future technology plans at my school, so I really want to
make it fly.

I have learned an incredible amount from this list, and look forward to the
help I know is forthcoming. I am dreaming of a future with no Windows.

Tim Kaldahl
I.T. Coordinator
Maplewood Academy
Hutchinson, MN

P.S. If any of you out there belong to Linux Users Group closer to me than
Mankato (about one hour away), I would love to here about it. I am an hour
west of Minneapolis. If there isn't one and you would like to start one I am
up for that.