[K12OSN] E-mail server...

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Mon Mar 8 17:48:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 10:01, Bert Rolston wrote:

> So fetchmail gets the goods.

fetchmail collects email from a pop3 (and other protocols) server, and
deposits it in the unix mail spools.

> Then I can front end this with Squirrelmail?

squirrelmail is front end for the unix mail spools, among others IIRC.

> Will OE have a fit accessing this?

Sorry, I know nothing about OE. (rant deleted)

> Does it automagically create each user's mailbox, or does it queue all
> the messages?

I don't know - it should just work.  I have found that accessing the
mail with a local (to the server) mail client removes that email from
the spool (and places it in /home/user/mail????).

If you need multiple remote email clients then I strongly suggest IMAP,
however OE will probably take issue with that too (rant withheld).

HTH,
Steve