Re: [K12OSN] Is IDE enough?

Depends on what you're doing. Yes, SCSI is better at it in general, but I've got 25 folks on a 7200 rpm IDE disk, and they run OO.o, Mozilla (or Konqueror), and, occasionally, the GIMP. They also access their files from Windows boxes (Samba). Most of them run KDE, but I let them also run GNOME or XFce if they wish. My server also has 4GB DRAM. So far, so good.

If, on the other hand, you've got hundreds of simultaneous users on a Samba share, I'd go for not just SCSI, but, specifically, SCSI RAID. If you want to do anything like the City of Largo, FL (400 thin clients), then definitely go for SCSI RAID.

I think it's because of the amount of DRAM that I have in my server (same as yours) that may be helping, because my server is pretty darned fast (nothing special--dual Athlon 1700+'s). With that much DRAM, all the apps get cached and stay cached.

--TP

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Idea: save some money and noise. Buy one fast 10k scsi drive for /home and one not so fast but quiet 7200 ide drive for root.

Lab: 30 clients programming in C++ with Anjuta in gnome on dual xeon server with 4 gigs ram.

Question: do I need a 10k scsi drive for root as well as /home or not?????

Note: SATA not an option

Robert