[K12OSN] Is IDE enough?

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Thu Mar 11 09:03:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> If, on the other hand, you've got hundreds of simultaneous users on a
> Samba share, I'd go for not just SCSI, but, specifically, SCSI RAID.  If
> you want to do anything like the City of Largo, FL (400 thin clients),
> then definitely go for SCSI RAID.

I know the original poster said that SATA was not an option, but there
was a very interesting thread started by Joe Guenther on 18 Feb 2004
discussing SCSI vs. SATA in an LTSP environment.

Chris Kacoroski posted some benchmarks on 2 Mar. SATA looks very promising,
but requires support for some of the more advanced features both on
the controller and the hard disk itself.

RAM always helps.

Cheers,    Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/