[K12OSN] local devices and /dev stuff

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at andaluciajunta.es
Fri Mar 19 15:08:51 UTC 2004

Hi people!!

I'm trying to use local devices in my k12ltsp system, but I'm afraid I'm a bit
lost. Someone whose nick was Frame in irc.freonde.net/#ltsp but that I'm afraid seem to have
dissapeared (at least I still have no answer to my emails :-) have developed
a local devices howto [1].

I've already compiled my own kernel with lpp+supermount support, because my
lusers don't want to get a command line while booting.. I've also executed
all the steps of the howto related to local cdrom support.

My terminals now have supermount loaded. I've also configured in lts.conf to
have a second screen in my terminal pcs with a terminal (command line), and
there is where a lsmod tells me that supermount module is loaded but unused.

I'd like to mount my local cdrom devices, in my terminal, but I only have seen
a sign of its existance  (and the local HD!) in /proc/devices: hda and hdc,
and that devices can't be the ones in the server bercause the server has a
hdd and hdb also hehe.

The problem is that /dev seem to not be updated. I can't see there a lp0
device for my local printer (I've configured it by adding PRINTER_0_DEVICE
= /dev/lp0\n PRINTER_0_TYPE = P in lts.conf for my PC-terminal), nor a hdX or
cdromX device. I can only see a /dev/floppy, but this PC-terminal's laptop
haven't got a floppy device :-P.

I guess that updating or rebuilding the /opt/ltsp/i386/dev directory which is
the /dev directory for terminals should fix my problem. I belive that it does
exist a command for this because I remmember to have used it before :).

I also would like to know if someone has already here configured local
devices. Is there a howto to do that?

In Frame's howto I've seen that I need local apps supprt. since my machines
are thin terminals, I can't really know wheter I've configured it well or
not. BTW, a '/etc/init.d/ypserv start' in my server fails to me to now, do I
really need this configured?

Finally, I have some doubts: in Frame's howto I've seen that local devices are
mounted in /tmp. Is that server's /tmp directory or terminal's /tmp directory? I think this important because if it's terminal's directory, in order to be accessed graphically in the terminal, as the X server runs in the server, that directory should be mounted via NFS in the server. AS you have noticed, I'm a bit lost, I told you before :P.

Any help will be welcome!

Thanks you all,
        Edulix.

PD: I apologise my bad english.