[K12OSN] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Fri Mar 19 18:37:02 UTC 2004

We teach a little Python to 8th graders and 9th graders (not just the
computer geeks, but ALL of them) with very good results, so I would
agree that Python is one of your best options - it's free, has an
acceptable IDE, even graphics programming isn't that hard, doesn't
require understanding object oriented concepts, etc.

In our experience kids find the basics fairly easy to grasp and everyone
is writing actual programs by the end of the first period. OK, so
they are tiny, toy programs, but still with input/output and simple
caculations.

Cheers,
Vern

--