[K12OSN] ISO: Python book recommendation (Was: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Mar 19 19:40:33 UTC 2004

Okay, so I hit www.nerdbooks.com and typed "python" into the search box.
Of all the books they had listed and available, I've picked the following
as 'potential buys', mostly based on their title and relative publication date:

Any comments on any of these?

learning python, 2nd ed
python in a nutshell

the complete python training course
the complete python training course  (student edition)

python programming for the absolute beginner
learn to program using python
python: how to program

programming python

I found O'Reilly's "Learning Perl" fabulous to learn the basics of Perl.
Of course, just because "Learning Python" has a similar title doesn't
mean it's going to be as good. ;^)

I learned C in college with "C: How to Program" (which was a hilarious
title... all of the others aren't nearly as funny ;^) ).  It seemed quite
good.  I'm guessing their Python one will be similarly good.

"In a Nutshell" might not be a good learning book, but O'Reilly has always
had good books, so I'm guessing it, at the very least, won't suck ;^)

The "Training Course" ones might be good:  one book for me, one for the
kid I'm tutoring.  Of course, they might be college-level books.  Hehe..

Anyway, I've thrown them out here.  What do people think?
I might call the owner of Nerdbooks.com to ask what he thinks, since he
seems to know at least a little about every damned book he's got in stock :)

-bill!