[K12OSN] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Jonathan Bartlett johnnyb at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 19 20:13:45 UTC 2004

A quick plug but it seems ontopic.  If anyone's interested, I just
finished writing a book on learning to program with Linux assembly
language.  It might require more math than an 8-year-old can handle, but I
know at least one person who is using it to teach programming to their
13-year-old (NOTE - the math isn't difficult, it's just that we talk
about record offsets early one).  It's called Programming from the Ground
Up and is available at

http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

Also there is an ebook version available online at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pgubook/

I think schools generally would be able to benefit from this, except that
it doesn't really match up with the AP curriculum.

Jon