[K12OSN] intel se7501br2 + aic 7901 onboard scsi

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 23 18:24:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 17:21, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Anyone have trouble with the onboard AIC 7901 scsi controller on the Intel
> se7501br2 motherboard? It's the one CT Leung is using in his article on
> linuxjournal.com

That's very similar to the SE7501WV2 boards in Gateway 955/975 servers,
which are Intel SR1300/SR2300 server chassis, respectively. Works fine
out of the box w/ K12LTSP 3.1 and 4.x for us. As you said the "HostRAID"
must be turned off since it requires a Windows driver.

> Since I am using dual xeons (smp kernel) I have to stick with k12ltsp 3.1.2
> (Redhat 8) anyway because 4.01 is not stable yet.  Wondering if anyone has
> positive or negative experience with this onboard scsi controller???

K12LTSP 3.1.x is based on Redhat 9. The Redhat 8 version was 3.0.x, but
I haven't tried that version on these particular boxes. As I said above,
it all "just worked" in 3.1.x and 4 (nee RH 9 and FC 1) as long as
HostRAID is turned off in the SCSI BIOS.

Also, K12LTSP 4 has been running fine for us on single-proc file
servers, though they do have SMT (HyperThreading) enabled and thus are
running on SMP kernels. This isn't to say that some folks haven't run
into kernel issues on FC 1, but just that those issues aren't universal.

Good luck!

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District