[K12OSN] K12LTSP Server RAM question

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Mar 24 14:11:45 UTC 2004

Another way to get around the memory limitation would be to run some/all apps on
separate servers.  So, your clients connect to the LTSP server but the icon/menu
selection runs, say, rsh to another box where, say, OOo is installed but
displayed remotely on the client.  This is what Largo, FL does.  They don't run
any apps on the terminal server, and they dedicate a server to each application.
   With this arrangement, they support over 200 users on a pair of terminal
servers, and a couple of years ago they reported that each user on the terminal
server was consuming about 13MB of RAM.  It is, obviously, more complicated to
set up; but then it also makes maintaining apps easier, because they don't
interfere with each other, you can take an app server down and the other apps
still run, etc.

Petre