[K12OSN] Client RAM question

mella mellax at pm.ee
Fri Mar 26 07:05:02 UTC 2004

> From: "Terrell Prude', Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com>

>No, it shouldn't.  None of the apps are actually running on the client
>at all; they're all running on the server and merely are displayed on
>the client.  The only "large" app running on the client is the X11
>server itself, and that fits nicely into 32MB.  Most of my clients have
<32MB DRAM, and they run just as fast as if they have 48MB or 64MB.
>Matter of fact, I've actually pulled DRAM out of a client so that it'll
>boot faster (less DRAM to go through during POST).

Wrong answer!
I use k12LTSP4.0.1 , 30 clients with Dual Xeon + 4G RAM.
My clients use many memory-wasting programs like Mozilla, OOO and Evolution.
I noticed strange restarts on clients with 32MB RAM. Even with 64MB. But clients with 128MB RAM never restarted.
So, I added NFS swap up to 96MB per client and now all is ok. No more restarts.
So, amount of client RAM IS important!