[K12OSN] Client RAM question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Mar 27 18:27:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 08:03, Rita Gibson wrote:

> I am very interested in this discussion as I am trying to figure out how
> to get a little better performance in our lab. I have been trying to
> decide whether to try to migrate all the boxes I have that would hand
> 128MB into the lab -- performance is always an issue when you have a lab
> full of excited students trying to get their work done. If the client
> has more memory, then does the server do less swapping for that client
> (thus less processor time and bandwidth?).

I think the only thing X can do with extra memory is use it
for 'backing store' so the obscured parts of overlapping
or covered windows (which can be a lot) are stored locally
instead of being redrawn as they are uncovered. If you only
work on one thing at once, this would not make much difference.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com