[K12OSN] Using Windows XP Professional as a poor man's terminalserver]

Doug Gough dgough at papcs.com
Tue Mar 30 00:26:32 UTC 2004

> I'm involved in a Linux Terminal Server Project and want to
> find an inexpensive way to offer very limited Windows remote
> desktop to a classroom of 30 or more Linux (LTSP) diskless
> thin clients using RDesktop.
>
> Can this be done with just WinXP or must we purchase a fully
> blown Windows Terminal Server?  Citrix is out of the question
> for budget reasons.

You'll need Window Server 2003 and the appropriate number of client
access licences. Don't use Windows 2000 Server. It works but not nearly
as nice as 2003. Microsoft offers educational pricing for this stuff, so
you won't have to spend an outrageous amount of money on it.

However, you should find out if the Windows software you want to use
will run in Wine. If it does, then you can install the software on the
Linux terminal server and not have to worry about Windows 2003 and
client access licences.

Doug Gough