[K12OSN] Autologin with gdm doesn't login on Fedora

Has anybody gotten gdm autologin to work work on Fedora 1?

I enabled the autologin in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and setup
a script to return a login name from the DISPLAY value.
However, no autologin happens. I have restarted gdm
a number of times. I have verified that the script to
generate the login name is being called and it is returning
the right login name. There is no failure message in
/var/log/messages. But the automatic login doesn't
happen. I tried changing the /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin
parameter for passwd to optional rather than required.
But still no autologin. The logins do have passwords on
them. Do I need to remove passwords from the logins?

Any thought or pointers to what to look at would
be appreciated!

Thanks,
Moody
Brewer Public Library