[K12OSN] Re: Sorry - question about squares instead of text again

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Mar 31 16:44:30 UTC 2004

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca wrote:

>Hi Paul.
>
>I'm running k12ltsp which is based on RH9 and was stable as of last
>september, so I'm not sure if the issue is a new one/Fedora issue.  What
>version are you running? And I thought all versions of k12ltsp are based
>on the same core, so wouldn't this show up more often?

the k12ltsp 3.x series are based on rh9.
the k12ltsp 4.x series are based on fc1.

I am running Fedora-Core-1 and I am seeing these 'boxes' instead of
text. I remember seeing it with RedHat 9 too. I believe it is something
to do with the character encoding and UTF-8 seems to mess a lot of
things up if the characters are not strictly 'standard' characters.

The only thing I have found that helped me a bit (with a mixed
French/English environment) was editing the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file. In
that file I removed all of the '.UTF-8' extensions and that got things
like accents over characters working again. (ie. change
LANG="en_US.UTF-8" to LANG="en_US").

But unfortunately this does nothing to fix the 'squares for text' problem :(

p.s. - there will be fedora users on the fedora-list with the same
problem - guaranteed :)

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!