[K12OSN] LTSP vs PC

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Mar 31 23:38:02 UTC 2004

I know.  That's what I've been letting people in my district know for
over a year now, but they'd rather spend the $30K (actually, closer to
$40K in our case) for Windows PCs than spend $2K to $6K on a K12LTSP
box.  We already have the infrastructure (Gig-E fiber, switched 100Mbps
to the desktop) to support this.  Each of our ESs has, at a minimum, two
computer labs, and most of them have three or four.  Consider this, folks:

Spend $3K per lab to upgrade it to K12LTSP, instead of the
aforementioned $30K for Windows PCs.  That's a $27K savings per lab.
You have, let's say, three labs in ES's on average.  That's $81K.
Folks, that's enough to fund a new teacher for two years.  Now imagine
it on the high school level.

I just don't understand the resistance to that kind of business case,
especially when we're in a $40+ million budget shortfall.  Anyone?

--TP