[K12OSN] WBEL Mail Server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue May 4 18:52:49 UTC 2004

I am going to attempt to build a mail server from WBEL.  The
requirements are to be able to host multiple domains, have webmail (I
prefer OpenWebmail), have anti-spam (I prefer SpamAssassin), have
anti-virus (It looks like ClamAV is most common), and a mailing list
manager.

If anyone has advice or recommendations on what to use or how to
configure it please let me know.  From what I have found a lot of users
use Postfix instead of Sendmail (I don't know why).  The way I
understand so far is Sendmail would hand to Procmail, Procmail to
SpamAssassin and back and then deliver locally.  The Webmin had a quick
fix to have Procmail and SpamAssassin talk but I don't know how to have
Sendmail deliver to Procmail.  Then do I need to configure Amavis or
something to tie in ClamAV?

Les recommended using Sendmail and MimeDefang, what does MimeDefang do
(Antivirus or Spam)?

For now I really liked the ease of SME server but the canned package has
me worried for future expansion or modifications, I think WBEL would
offer more flexability (Such as using OpenWebmail instead of Horde).
Any comments?

I have looked all over and can't really find a good "how to" on a full
featured email server.

Thanks