[K12OSN] Unable to boot from CD to install K12 LSTP 4.0.1

Luke Maslany l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk
Fri May 7 09:58:42 UTC 2004

Rather than posting multiple times, I'm trying to reply to you all...

Matt:  Thanks for confirming that the CD's do actually boot - I thought I was missing something!

Les:  Thanks again for confirming that the CD's boot.  I too have been looking at booting from USB - although I think in my case I should learn how standard installation paths work first!! I'm still new to the world of linux.

Duane:  I can't tell you how worried I was when I read that - I thought I'd have to post to say I had copied the ISO...  :)

Doug:  The CD's were downloaded.  As I mentioned above, I did burn the image rather than just the ISO file to disc.  I was worried I had got it wrong though!

Calvin: The CDR's are rated for 52x burn, but the most my writer will do is 16x anyway!  :)

Chris: I haven't got a CD writer on the test machine, but thanks for the script - it'll make things easier if Linux kicks off here (my organisation rather than a Linux forum... :) ).

Mark:  I have just tried this and the CD's boot successfully.  After ruling out problems with the machine (or so I thought), my assumption was that the discs were at fault.

I am at a loss.  The CD's still will not boot on the test machine, even though other distributions boot successfully, using the same CDR's, burned at the same speed.

For now I will just use a different machine.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Luke Maslany

Luke Maslany
l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk