[K12OSN] Using LTSP 4.0.1 on a Windows network

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 7 17:02:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 09:23, Luke Maslany wrote:

> The student network is a mixture of Windows 2003 servers and Windows
> 2000 Professional clients.  DCHP is enabled.  I would like to
> introduce Linux to the network.

> Rather than buying (or revamping) old terminals, can I use a boot
> image on an existing workstation without modifying the locally
> installed content?  (I’m pretty sure that this is one of the main
> points of a thin-client solution, but I thought I should check)

You can, but all you really need is a Xwindows session.  If you don't
want to have to reboot you can install Cygwin, including Xfree from
http://www.cygwin.com.  From a cygwin bash prompt, enter
Xwin -fullscreen -query k12ltsp_server
and you should get a session exactly like a thin client except that
you won't get sound and alt-tab will cycle through MS windows where
the X desktop is one window instead of the individual X windows.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com