Re: [K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better (was: Pentium 166 mHz Machines as Clients?)

At 11:38 AM 5/8/2004 -0400, Steven Santos wrote:

> Dennis Daniels wrote:
>
> > A plea from a teacher in the treches: make it easier to get older
> > machines, random NICS and ancient monitors into use as clients is a
> > good thing for schools; something that Aunt Tilly the Teacher, and I,
> > can use.   ;)

To which TP replied:

> OK, you got it.  Note:  I am emphatically *not* talking about fat
> clients here.  I mean thin clients.  You'll see here in a minute...

<snipped TP's step-by-step instructions>

While most of us on the list can do this, Aunt Tilly the teacher will NEVER
be able to make use of these instructions (try asking Aunt Tilly what a
"3C905" is).

No, what we really need is a diagnostics CD (ala KNOPIX) that will boot the
terminal as a semi-fat client, connect to the LTSP server, output all of the
correct config options for that terminal's lts.conf entry (maybe even auto
add the entry in lts.conf?) a link to the proper rom-o-matic image and maybe
a nice script to create a boot floppy/HD boot image from the ROM image.

What Aunt Tilly needs is for somebody to drop the whole shebang in her class, tell her how to operate what she needs to operate and tell her her to leave the rest of it alone. Given the robustness of this approach and the high degree of uptime, K12LTSP should be PERFECT for the Tilly's of the world.

Start of Day:
Turn on server
<pause>
Turn on clents