Re: [K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 11:24, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

The alternative is for us all to do Linux From Scratch. I
can do this. Can you? If you can, do you have the time to
spend doing it? I sure don't anymore.

A lot of people can do Linux From Scratch these days, but the real question is whether you can do it better than the freely available bundles like Knoppix. I see some people also mentioned Damn Small, which is also good because it started from knoppix rather than scratch. However Damn Small runs the XVesa and Xfbdev drivers that may be slower than the best match for your hardware. What I think should work is to modify the knoppix master so the default is to run 'X -query ...' instead of the local desktop and boot any problem PC's with that. Also, since knoppix has it's own PXE boot mechanism you should be able to copy the iso image to the k12ltsp server and emulate that boot procedure if you prefer network booting. Having the rest of the stuff on the knoppix cd available to the client is overkill but harmless (well, you probably should eliminate the ability to become root if you have NFS exports anywhere, but someone could bring their own stock knoppix CD anyway...).

---

Remember, she still has to build workable thin clients out of all that random hardware before they can even boot Knoppix or Damn Small. Then she's got to do a remaster of the ISO image. Can Aunt Tilly do all that? Should we expect her to do all that? I'm operating under the assumption that the "IT guru" won't be getting involved.

It is possible that I'm misunderstanding here; please correct me if I am.

--TP