[K12OSN] server needs

Lee Myrick lee at renarts.org
Mon May 10 00:32:14 UTC 2004

We're are in the planning stages of setting up our K12ltsp project.
We're probably going to end up building our thin clients from scratch,
but my concern right now is the server (we'll either be building this
ourselves or buying used). I want to get this purchase right the first
time. We're a small public charter middle/high school with a performing
arts focus--only 92 students this year, doubling next year, and topping
out at 250 by year three with no growth in population after that.

We're moving into our permanent location this summer. The building has
a quite open floor plan and the clients will be scattered throughout
the building in open banks of 5 or so. We're going to start with 15 to
20 clients for now, but want to be able to grow to 40-50 by the time we
reach max population in year three. We'll be running Open Office and a
web browser on the clients, but not much else.

So--I want to able to run all the clients off the same server (I
think). My  main question is, what are the minimum specs I want for a
server that will take us through year three in our plan and beyond?
There are a lot of choices out there, both in used servers and new
components. Any advice from anyone running a similar load on their ltsp
server would be appreciated.

Lee Myrick
Information Services Administrator
Renaissance Arts Academy