[K12OSN] server needs

Joe Faletra jfaletra at sau16.org
Mon May 10 12:41:50 UTC 2004

I have built a server for $2100.00 with the following specs.

Dual Xeon 2.6ghs 533/.mhz bus
Intel SE7501HG2 Mainboard
3GB RAM
3x 36GB SCSI 15k HDD
CDROM
FDD
Supermicro tower chasis (comes with SCA backplane)

I can run 35 thinclients with no issues.  I would use 50mb or RAM per
client regardless of the GUI.  However, the more RAM the happier the
server.

You can get the above parts from

Micro Computer Center
ATTN: Joe Lore
joe at mcc-ma.com
781-933-5530  x110

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>We're are in the planning stages of setting up our K12ltsp project.
>We're probably going to end up building our thin clients from scratch,
>but my concern right now is the server (we'll either be building this
>ourselves or buying used). I want to get this purchase right the first
>time. We're a small public charter middle/high school with a
>performing
>arts focus--only 92 students this year, doubling next year, and
>topping
>out at 250 by year three with no growth in population after that.
>
>We're moving into our permanent location this summer. The building has
>a quite open floor plan and the clients will be scattered throughout
>the building in open banks of 5 or so. We're going to start with 15 to
>20 clients for now, but want to be able to grow to 40-50 by the time
>we
>reach max population in year three. We'll be running Open Office and a
>web browser on the clients, but not much else.
>
>So--I want to able to run all the clients off the same server (I
>think). My  main question is, what are the minimum specs I want for a
>server that will take us through year three in our plan and beyond?
>There are a lot of choices out there, both in used servers and new
>components. Any advice from anyone running a similar load on their
>ltsp
>server would be appreciated.
>
>Lee Myrick
>Information Services Administrator
>Renaissance Arts Academy
>lee at renarts.org
>http://www.renarts.org
>
>626-564-0902 home office
>323-259-5700 school site

Joe Faletra
School Administrative Unit 16
Districts Manager for Technology Support Services
T: 603-775-8576
F: 603-775-8487
http://www.sau16.org

DO NOT READ, COPY, OR DISSEMINATE THIS COMMUNICATION UNLESS YOU ARE THE
INTENDED ADDRESSEE.  This e-mail communication contains confidential
and/or privileged information that is intended only for the addressee.
If you have received this communication in error, please call us
immediately at 603-775-8680 and ask to speak to the sender of the
communication.  Also please immediately notify the sender via e-mail
that you have received the communication in error.  Please note e-mail
may be corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, be incomplete or
contain viruses.  The sender does not accept liability which arises as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification of this message is
required, please request a hard copy version at 603-775-8680.