[K12OSN] New server

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Thu May 13 15:47:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 17:37, John P. Conlon wrote:
> Buth servers have K12LTSP Fedora in them.  Because of the IP licenses
> the old one has a fixed IP that is internal to the building
> 10.xx.x.xxx  Can we use fixed IP addresses in this range or will we
> have to change?

Yes. You can use any range but advantage of K12LTSP is that hardly any
configuration is needed if you go with defaults.
So what is IP that has been assigned for your server? This needs to be
set up in number of places. Before you go in to that confirm that in all
other respects your system is following the k12LTSP scheme with two NIC
cards. One for internal Thin client network and the other to be
connected to your building Network. Ideally this IP should be assigned
to gateway - the second NIC card eth1 and go with default IP scheme for
all thin clients on the downside of your servers first NIC - eth0.

>   Also I am fairly new to doing Linux things so is there a set of
> instructions for the actual exporting?
That's what I have given. you just have to know the proper IP address of
both the machines.

>   If so what are they? Can I plug  an ethernet cable directly between
> the two servers?
You sure can provided it is one on one cable (cross over cable)
Generally you do not get these cables.

> Sudev Barar wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:47, John P. Conlon wrote:
> >
> > > How do I get all of my users and their folders moved from my old server
> > > to my new server?
> > >
> > Depends on what is old server and what is new server. If both are
> > K12LTSP server then you will have to change IP address of old server to
> > something different from 192.168.0.254 but within 192.168.0.xxx range.
> > Next you will have to export /home directory in /etc/exports (normally
> > this involves removing the # from line already present in the file if
> > you are using standard k12LTSP install) Restart service network and nfs
> > to give effect to your changes, no need to re-boot for every change like
> > the wordly wise M$ product we all know.
> > On the new server make a directory say "makdir /home/oldserver"
> > Run "mount 192.168.0.xxx:/home /home/oldserver" You will see the old
> > directory when you "ls -l /home/oldserver" Copy the files by "cp -fR
> > /home/oldserver/* /home/." Unmount the old server "umount
> > 192.168.0.xxx:/home" and shut it off!
> > Caution: This is assuming all UID and GID are perserved across both
> > server. Look at eralier posts on how to copy passwd, shadow and group
> > files in /etc directory.
> > HTH

Sudev Barar
Learning Linux