[K12OSN] Server Backups

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri May 14 19:54:45 UTC 2004

I use rsync snapshots.  Check out http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/  I use a variation of this.

It allows me to have all backups online for all users. I nfs-mount (read only) the backup directory from the backup server to the same system that has /home.  The users can get their own data back, but since permissions are preserved, can't access anything they shouldn't.  It has worked very well all year.  I also rsync data from my Windows server.

 I then dump these to tape (CD-RW) as well from the backup server.  I might move to backuppc though, just haven't seen the total need for it yet.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins