Re: [K12OSN] library kiosks

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 03:40:28PM -0500, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> I want to setup several logins for a public area of the library.
> I would like these to autologon to an account that opens a browser to
> the card catalog web page.
> I would also like the machine to log off and then back in if the browser
> window is closed.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?  What would be the scurity issues I
> need to worry about?

Try this:
In the /etc/passwd file, change the last field on the line (Specify's
the user's login shell) to contain a command invoking the browser with a
url to open.  When the browser is closed the user is automatically
logged out.

If this fails, change the last fiels to a shell script that contains one
line - a command invoking the browser with a URL.