[K12OSN] Linux user database question

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed May 19 18:58:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 14:44, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Is it possible to have Linux pull from a mysql database for its
> usernames and passwords?  I have seen the support for LDAP and NIS but
> am curious if I can us mysql.  This would really make it easy to tie in
> my email, file server, website, and database software all together.  I
> am afraid this may be wishfull thinking however.  I have considered
> using LDAP but for one I don't understand it, and 2 have heard of speed
> lags with it.

LDAP would be the standard way of doing it which means you'll have much
more support for this universally in other programs. You could even use
pgina to authenticate XP machines to LDAP. Where have you heard about
speed lags? I've been putting together plans to build a system based on
LDAP and would like to read up on that issue.

JSR/