[K12OSN] Open office Startup delay on RAID 1

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu May 20 04:37:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 22:48, Sudev Barar wrote:

> AFAIK Mirrored will always be slower. Similarly in Raid0 you will see
> speed improvements but when you get to mirroring in Raid3(?) and above.

Raid1 should not be noticeably slower than single drives on SCSI
at least.  Writes happen almost in parallel and reads can take
whichever drive responds fastest.  With IDE drives you would
want to make sure the mirrored partitions are on different
controllers and there is still more overhead than SCSI.
Also, I've seen DiskDruid do some really stupid things when
trying to make raid mirrors during an install - like
rearrange things so both partitions of the RAID are on
the same physical drive.  Check with "cat /proc/mdstat'
which physical partitions are part of each md device.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com