[K12OSN] IE requirement

Shahms E. King shahms at shahms.com
Sun May 23 16:45:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 21:30 -1000, pnakashi at k12.hi.us wrote:
> Hi all,
> Our district has recently standardized all administrative web app
> development to IE. This has put a crimp into our fledgling K12LTSP
> project (3 elementary schools, 90 clients). We've been tossing around
> the following options:

I know this isn't a very constructive response, but standardizing on IE
is a huge mistake at this point.  Not only is it the worst browser
available at the moment (on almost every single point, including
features) but it won't see an update for at least 2 more years
(according to Microsoft's best estimate).  And even then the update will
only be available with Longhorn.  IE as at end-of-life for every other
platform and I doubt you want to upgrade every single computer to
Longhorn.  Even considering that the only platform you care about is
Windows (There will *never* be another IE for the Mac, not even bug
fixes), Internet Explorer is the worst option.  It's already a long ways
behind Opera, Konqueror and Mozilla in features, standards compliance,
speed, etc. and will only get more so in the next 2 years.  If you can,
you should do what you can to get whoever is responsible to reconsider
this decision.

--
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>