[K12OSN] Re: Wins

Joe Faletra jfaletra at sau16.org
Tue May 25 12:01:48 UTC 2004

Dave,

I tried your suggestion and it failed:

[root at K12LTSP root]#   smbpasswd -a administrator
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user administrator.
Failed to modify password entry for user administrator
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at K12LTSP root]#

Any other ideas?

"David Trask" <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us> writes:
>"Joe Faletra" <jfaletra at sau16.org> writes:
>>I got it working anywhoosie.  Just can't sutheticate to add a machine
>>to the domain.  Very stange.  I tried to change the root smb password
>>and it failed.  Says there isn't a user called root.  So I try to add
>>user root and it says it exists.
>>
>>weird
>
>Try this
>
>smbpasswd -a Administrator
>
>We may need to create a user with the uid of 0....the above command
>may do
>that....
>
>David N. Trask
>Technology Teacher/Coordinator
>Vassalboro Community School
>dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
>(207)923-3100

Joe Faletra
School Administrative Unit 16
Districts Manager for Technology Support Services
T: 603-775-8576
F: 603-775-8487
http://www.sau16.org

DO NOT READ, COPY, OR DISSEMINATE THIS COMMUNICATION UNLESS YOU ARE THE
INTENDED ADDRESSEE.  This e-mail communication contains confidential
and/or privileged information that is intended only for the addressee.
If you have received this communication in error, please call us
immediately at 603-775-8680 and ask to speak to the sender of the
communication.  Also please immediately notify the sender via e-mail
that you have received the communication in error.  Please note e-mail
may be corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, be incomplete or
contain viruses.  The sender does not accept liability which arises as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification of this message is
required, please request a hard copy version at 603-775-8680.