[K12OSN] Roaming profile directory

Joe Faletra jfaletra at sau16.org
Fri May 28 01:48:52 UTC 2004

Thanks,

I have
>logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
 in my smb.conf but the profiles are saving to the users home directory.

If I want all of the profiles saved in /var/samba/profiles/USERNAME
what would I do?

Joe

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:

>"Joe Faletra" <jfaletra at sau16.org> wrote:
>

>Does anyone know how I can get SAMBA to store roaming profiles in
>/opt/samba/profiles?  By default it saves in /home/USER_NAME/profile
><<
>
>Bzzt!! Not in /opt/samba/profiles, please! Go read the Linux Filesystem
>Hierarchy Standard at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ , and you'll see
>that
>/opt is for major 3rd-party applications. Profiles should really go
>under
>/var somewhere, e.g. /var/samba/profiles . By sticking with the
>Standard,
>you'll find life easier when it comes to backups, etc.
>
>In addition, the different versions of Windows store profiles in
>different
>places. For NT, 2K and XP use the "logon path" setting in smb.conf.
>This is
>usually a separate location from the user's home directory.For Win 95,
>98
>and ME, use the "logon home" setting in smb.conf. This is usually set
>
>logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
>
>(or .profile) which puts the profile in the user's home directory.
>
>This information is correct for Samba 3.04. For Samba 2.x, check the
>definitions of these config options in "man 5 smb.conf".
>
>Best,
>
>--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
>[http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Joe Faletra
School Administrative Unit 16
Districts Manager for Technology Support Services
T: 603-775-8576
F: 603-775-8487
http://www.sau16.org

DO NOT READ, COPY, OR DISSEMINATE THIS COMMUNICATION UNLESS YOU ARE THE
INTENDED ADDRESSEE.  This e-mail communication contains confidential
and/or privileged information that is intended only for the addressee.
If you have received this communication in error, please call us
immediately at 603-775-8680 and ask to speak to the sender of the
communication.  Also please immediately notify the sender via e-mail
that you have received the communication in error.  Please note e-mail
may be corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, be incomplete or
contain viruses.  The sender does not accept liability which arises as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification of this message is
required, please request a hard copy version at 603-775-8680.