[K12OSN] Linux Router

J. Theriault administrator at maginetworks.com
Fri May 28 15:05:31 UTC 2004

Joe O'Brien wrote:
> I've been running a Linux box with 4 ethernet cards in it as my primary
> router/firewall and have been pleased with its performance/stability.  Most
> of the school's network is run on 10Mbit Hubs, so my next thought was to
> replace the 4 ethernet cards with (4) 4port ethernet cards and run it as a
> 16 port 10/100 switch/router/firewall, and if successful, replace some of
> those Hubs with a 16 port linux box. We cannot afford to buy enough layer2
> or layer3 switches to make a significant dent in replacing our 10Mbit hubs,
> but for the price of (1) layer3 switch, I could move almost the entire
> network over 10/100....if this would actually work.  Does anyone have any
> opinions or suggestions?

Hello, Joe;

Yes, it should be possible (much easier if the cards have built-in
switching ability such as the Asound AL500P 4 Ports Nway Swith +
10/100Mbps Dual Speed PCI Router card that are 19$US on pricewatch.com)
but it would be an administration nightmare.

I would *strongly* suggest cheap 10/100 switches instead, there are many
10/100 switches that can be had for under 50$US on pricewatch.com such as:

LanReady Switch 16port Ethernet 10/100 Switch Retail Box
32$US, Free Shipping, Same-Day Shipping

ASOUND Switch 16port 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch RETAIL BOX
32$US, Free Shipping, Same-Day Shipping

LanReady 16port 10/100 Mbps Switch. Full Duplex, Auto-Negotiation - Plug
and Play
48$US (Shipping inc.), Same-Day Shipping.

Imagine trying to diagnose a fault in a networks with a bunch of
machines packes with all those cards while trying to keep the network up :)

J. Theriault
administrator at maginetworks.com