[K12OSN] 1.4 mbps on 100BaseT! (OT)

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Nov 2 00:31:20 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

I know this specific example is OT, but this topic is very near and dear to
K12LTSP since the whole franchise is riding on the network.  Maybe someone
can set me straight on some network issues I've been having.

I just clocked a Samba upload to my K12LTSP server at 1.45 MegaBits per
second.  Roughly 109 Megabytes took roughly 11 minutes.  (maybe I'm doing
the math wrong, but that seems really slow.)  Connections are solid and
reliable, but slow.

I'm going through 2 switches (not hubs) the lights for all the connections
indicate 100BaseT connections.  And both computer and server have 10/100
cards.  Some of the cabling I pulled through the wall myself and there are
quite a few kinks in it, as I recall.  Also, the ends were untwisted about
an inch, not the half inch recommended in the specs.  Could this be enough
to cause such a massive drop in speed?  Should I pull the cat5 again, being
more careful?  Or should I look for the culprit somewhere else?  (CPU, RAM,
interference, disk speed, etc.)  Can someone identify for me the top 5
likely candidates for bottlenecks in a transfer like this?  I'm worried also
because my K12LTSP connections to the server are from the same cabling job.

Thanks,

ck