[K12OSN] Wish list

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Wed Nov 3 19:01:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 11:59, Eric Harrison wrote:

> This weekend I'm going to a LTSP developer's conference in Maine.
> I have Friday -> Monday carved out for K12LTSP development.
> While I have some dedicated time, what do you guys & gals
> want me to work on?

Eric,

I keep seeing two questions over and over on this list.

The first is how to "install" apps like OpenOffice and Mozilla/Firefox
for all users so that they just work when a user logs in for the first
time. I keep pointing people to my scripts page (URL below). I don't
know if my solution is the best one, but they work great for me.

my scripts page:

http://www.vol.org/vol/school/freedom/ltsp_scripts/

The other is how to print to specific printers based on the physical
location of the terminal. The solution I came up with (based on the work
of others) for this problem is to use the display variable, have a file
containing IP numbers and printer names and the $PRINTER variable.

Solutions for both of the above should work no matter what display
manager and desktop are used.

Having said all of that, I'm using K12LTSP 3.1.2, and the above may be
included in newer versions.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>