[K12OSN] Wish list

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Wed Nov 3 21:21:33 UTC 2004

eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us wrote:

>This weekend I'm going to a LTSP developer's conference in Maine.
>I have Friday -> Monday carved out for K12LTSP development.
>While I have some dedicated time, what do you guys & gals
>want me to work on?
>
>I have two objectives:
>
>1) Immediate needs. What changes do you want to see in K12LTSP 4.2.0?
>   (keeping in mind I'd like to have this finished in the next two
>    weeks ;-)
>2) Start work on the next major version. What are the major issues
>   issues/enhancements that you would like to see in the next 6-12
>   months?
>
>Since I will be traveling, I won't have the hardware necessary
>to finish K12LTSP 3.2.0. It is perfectly fine to request this as
>a priority, but it won't get done this weekend ;-)
>

>To kick things off, here is the list of topics that have been
>suggested for the LTSP developer's conference:
>
>  * LDAP Authentication possibly w/Kerberos?
>  * Local display manager
>  * Local App Building/Packaging
>  * Local app invocation
>  * Local drive support (usb devices, floppy, cdrom)
>  * Desktop shadowing (VNC, x11vnc, x110rbserver)
>  * Security audit of the ltsp tree, file perms, ownership, tcpwrappers
>  * Low bandwidth (NX, FreeNX)
>  * Other non-x86 architectures for LTSP thin clients
>    (PPC,Sparc,StrongArm)
>  * Using SSH to tunnel the X traffic
>

>-Eric

Hi Eric,

Well you asked for it ....

1) Simple administration tools similar to those available on OSX
management console. i.e. ability to assign applications to groups of
users or to individual users.
2) Remote viewing console used by teachers to monitor AND control what
the "little monsters" are doing
3) Simple reporting tool that generates a detailed list of the
activities of a given user. Again not as a root tool but a Teacher tool
4) Application selection on the fly ...... i.e once the kids have
completed their work turn on games/browsing but if they haven't then
they can't do anything else.

I have a much longer list but I don't want to discourage you since
you've already have contributed so much to this project. ..... OH
wireless thin-clients would also be great particularly for those
"snooty" private schools that have to have the latest & greatest and
actually have MONEY to PAY for it.

thanks again and my regrets as I sadly will not be able to attend the
conference.

norbert