[K12OSN] Wish list

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Thu Nov 4 04:08:14 UTC 2004

Here goes! Not all are absolutely necessary but it's a wish list.

>  * Local drive support (usb devices, floppy, cdrom)

Yes usb pen drive support is a must for the future.

>  * Desktop shadowing (VNC, x11vnc, x110rbserver)

Yes TeacherTool + VNC Reflector shadowing type stuff  to monitor
students and show/demo instruction should be built in by default.

>  * Security audit of the ltsp tree, file perms, ownership, tcpwrappers

-A section in the documentation for admin on how to write your own
common bash scripts (adding users with the same password and username
format like c1, c2 ,c3  with all same password. )

-A dir full of useful scripts and how to use them. Like how to clean up
memory after a certain time. Especially when kids powerdown without
logging off.  ( I know about unclean but I don't feel there is enough
documentation/user feedback on it)

-A means to prevent any one user from eating up too much ram and
exhausting the server
           I know this is in the wiki but it only addresses certain apps

-Simple reliable (GUI) way to set disk quota's without hosing the
system. Tried it already but hosed the system.

-One simple root command to stop absolutely all communication between
clients. (for when students write coding tests)
            I know #ifdown eth1 will take down the net but it won't
prevent kids from sending files/typing to each other

-Method to absolutely prevent same username logging on more than once at
same time. ( I tried it on 3.1.2 according to list info but it did not work)
                again to prevent cheating

-Method to set printing quotas per user. So kids can't send 50 pages to
print

>  * Using SSH to tunnel the X traffic

Method students/admin can log in from home residents. (If already
possible it needs to be in the docs or wiki)

Robert Arkiletian