[K12OSN] VNC

John Hegarty jh at clongowes.net
Sat Nov 13 11:27:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 17:38, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 08:35, John Hegarty wrote:
>
> > VNC Query
> > I have VNC installed on our windows pcs and they can access the server
> > easily that way. However it only seems to allow 3 or 4 connections at
> > any one time.
>
> I don't see why that would be the case. What kind of error are you
> getting?

The error I am getting with VNC on the 3rd or 4th person connecting is
simply "connection closed". If one person ends their session then
another can get in immediately. Is there something about the way that
VNC works that causes this? Am I simply expecting VNC to do something it
wasn't designed to do.

I am playing a bit with NX as a possible alternative but the fact that I
can put a single file on the windows desktops (vncviewer) and that it
requires no installation or configuration makes vnc an attractive,
though some are telling me not very efficient, solution to making the
linux server available to the windows machines.

jh