[K12OSN] Linux cut off

KJ ksj2010 at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 19 12:47:47 UTC 2004

I hate to say this, but the business teachers are right <duck>.

<slowly lifts head back up> Now before anyone kicks me off the list, let
me explain and give a quick anecdote.  I spend 98% of my working time
consulting with companies in the manufacturing sector, mostly $50
million/year and smaller (US dollars).  M$ is the defacto standard.
However, I have found some very good and interesting uses for OSS
(mostly Linux) in the backoffice.  One of my clients has saved his small
company somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000 (US) in licensing fees
by installing Linux/Samba/Winbind servers to handle file storage.  I
think this is a fantastic idea AND it shows management that IT really
does care and wants to help save where they can, AND that OSS is stable
and ready for the "big time".  I realize that I'm probably speaking to
the proverbial choir, but I had to toss in my coins.

best to all,
KJ